Our Family

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A New Challenge

Last week in my Good Housekeeping there was an article about a family who stopped shopping for a year. They didn't spend money except for food and depletables (toilet paper, etc). I was inspired to try and do the same. This family was doing it because they felt like they were too wrapped up into material things. I sometimes feel that I am too and it would be nice to have more money in savings. The really strange thing is that I told Andy about it on Friday and then on Sunday our pastors sermon went right along with what I had said to Andy. When we left we both thought that it was so crazy how things like that happen! It was something we felt God must really want us to do.

I think that I can be successful with this. I am going to try really hard for 6 months at first and see how it goes. I am not going to buy the boys any clothes unless I find that theirs' don't fit. I bought them a lot of 4T stuff at the end of last season because of a growth spurt. Really the only thing they absolutely need that I will have to buy is tennis shoes. The baby is totally set! He doesn't need anything until maybe winter and that only depends on how big he is since he is just a little off from the season the boys were born in. Andy is definitely set and I will hopefully be set. I saved my big girl clothes from after I had the boys and I have a lot of elastic waist skirts and work out pants that I wear all the time, not to mention the fact that I will be home with a baby and what other clothes would I need other than work out pants.

As for Christmas, I will probably spend as usual because that is something we never spend a lot at. Last Christmas I spent a total of $100 on both boys combined. This family in the article had three kids and spent over $1000! Andy and I are not real big on buying the boys tons of stuff and we don't really buy each other gifts either. The boys have a lot of toys and they were pretty much all used and gifts. I do want the boys to have a trampoline for Christmas, but Andy thinks they are dangerous. I think that would be a good gift for the family and great way to exercise.

So far, it hasn't even been a week, and I haven't bought anything we don't need. Our vacuum died, so with a BBB coupon we got another one. Our old one was over 8 years old. I went to Target and BRU today and left with the items I went in there for. Andy was so impressed. I am a shopaholic and really hope I can stick to this. I have just been trying to look at the bigger picture and the fact that we are blessed and don't need anything else.

No comments: