Our Family

Monday, September 21, 2009

Mack Samuel


The day after my due date I finally go into labor! I guess technically only minutes into the 16th my contractions began. I started having consistent contractions just after midnight. Since I have been having Braxton Hicks for so long I waited until my contractions were consistent for an hour and a half before calling the doctor. We only live a few minutes from the hospital, so I wasn't too worried about not making it in time. By the time I call the doctor and grab my last few things and reach the hospital my contractions were already 5 mins apart! I was a little worried about how fast that changed. So then I get to my room and get hooked up and they keep coming faster and then they check and I am at a 6. I hadn't decided before about an epidural, but at that point I was pretty sure I wanted one. The nurse went ahead and ordered one since it takes awhile to get going. When the doctor got there about 45to an hour later I was at an 8. The nurse then informed me that there was no way I would get an epidural in time. Then panic set in! I thought I could do it before I was actually in labor, but once I was there I wanted relief. She gave me some other medicine that made me loopy and relaxed. It wasn't long after that that I felt the urge to push, which did not happen with Cale and Carter. It was kind of scary. For 30 minutes I pushed and finally had the baby! It was the longest 30 minutes ever and there were times when I really thought I couldn't do it. Then after arriving at 3:ooam he was born at 5:24am. After he came out though I knew it would be instant relief and it was. I also was like that's it, I'm done no more kids! There was no way I want to do that again.
When they laid him on me I couldn't get over how big he was. He weighed 7lbs 15 oz, but looked much larger to me. I surprisingly felt so much more alert and better than I did after I had Cale and Carter. I guess because my labor was so quick or maybe it was not having drugs. I don't know, but I sure didn't feel like I had only had about an hour and a half of sleep that night before labor started.
We were very relieved when it was over and we got to watch him get cleaned up and hold him right away. Since the twins were born in the operating room and 5 weeks early we missed everything with them. I wasn't away from Mack until that night when they had to take him to the nursery to do vitals and whatever else they do.
So far this has been a much better experience. One baby is definitely easier than two! It does help that Mack has been a really good baby, so far. He actually sleeps the whole time in between most feedings! The other boys never did that. They would sleep like 20 minutes at a time. Mack is also a great eater and I am so glad that nursing is working out.



Carter--the 2 seconds he held Mack before he realized what he had agreed to
The boys first reaction to the baby





Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kasey Q said...

Precious. I'm so happy it's all over for you now. What a sweet family.