Our Family

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Eat This Not That!


I am not a fan of dieting. My thought has always been that you only live once and why not eat things you love (in moderation). This book, Eat This Not That! has been intriguing me for a while, so after seeing the author on the Today's Show several times I decided to buy this one and the one for kids. They are very informative books. This is a diet method, but all you are doing is buying the healthiest choice of certain types of foods. It is really hard to do with my couponing though, because the healthier options either don't have as good of coupons or are not on sale. Andy and I believe that is why Americans are so heavy especially with the economy the way it is. Anyways, I do my best, but do splurge right now. After the baby is born and I have a ton of weight to lose I will be more diligent.
We eat out quite a bit too, so these books have a grocery section and a restaurant section. They also have just a general information section for things that may not fit into the other sections. This "diet" plan is meant to help the fat at your midsection, which is my problem. There have really been some things I was surprised over. One, wasn't much of a surprise, was that Chik-fil-a is the healthiest place to eat. Even the regular chicken sandwich has less than 500 calories. Actually the wraps and salads were the worst! The chargrill was of course the healthiest option there.
This guy is very against dressing and especially ranch. He said that it is better for your kids not to eat veggies if they have to dip them in ranch. I was relieved since I always feel bad for not making my kids eat raw veggies. Andy and I think the boys eat healthy and are very against forcing them to eat foods. They are strongly encouraged to try a bite and if they don't like it then fine they don't have to eat it. Sometimes they do actually like the food though. I was happy to see that most of the eat this kids cereals were ones that the boys love, Frosted Mini Wheat, Special K, Life and grossest Bran Flakes. I am the bad cereal eater in the house. I like my Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes.
These books have been helpful and next I need to get the one with just the grocery store stuff. Nutrition does interest me and I have made some changes to things we normally buy. I think that I am the only one that is having a hard time adjusting since Andy and the boys like bland foods.

No comments: