Our Family

Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter Egg Hunt

Friday finally turned out to be a beautiful day! The boys had their Easter egg hunt at school that day, so I was really glad that the rain finally stopped and the sun came out. I was also having my class's egg hunt at the same time, so Andy was nice enough to come and take pictures for me. The boys had a great time and have loved playing with their eggs.

This week we have spring break from school and it has not started off to a great start. The weather is terrible!! It is pouring rain and storming. This past weekend was so nice out! We were able to get our vegetable garden started. We started with tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, peppers, and green beans. I also did some research on herbs and flowers that would repel bugs and rodents from the garden and was successful at finding stuff. The herbs I found were basil, sage, marigolds, mint and I started from seed garlic cloves--not sure if it is the same as garlic but that was all I could find. Those things are all suppose to repel ants, flying bugs, rodents, mosquitos and some other stuff. We also got this steak that you put in the ground that sends off a sonic sound to keep ground animals away. Even though we live in the middle of the city we have so many rabbits and chipmonks and of course squirrels. We also got an owl for the pear tree and are hoping it will scare the squirrels out of that tree as well. We'll see how well these things work. I also found that sprinkling cinnamon or cayenne pepper around flower beds or trees that you don't want squirrels in will keep them away. I will also be trying that once the trees start to get fruit on them.

No comments: