Our Family

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Another Adventure Filled Christmas

For the 4th year in a row someone in our house has been sick during Christmas. three years ago I was sick and still suffering from morning sickness, two years ago both the boys were sick and on the nebulizer and then the day after Christmas Andy got very sick with a stomach bug that lasted a week. Last year the boys were sick and then I got sick on Christmas day with a stomach bug. This year Carter got sick first on Saturday night with a high fever that lasted until Christmas Eve and just when we thought we were in the clear Cale woke up about every hour Christmas Eve and into Christmas morning with a high fever. The day after Christmas he seemed to be a little better, but then I gave him milk in the middle of the night and made him puke, but finally that seemed to make him feel better. Lastly, this morning Andy woke up with a fever and has been sick and in bed all day. I am starting to feel like we will never have a "normal" Christmas around here, because someone is always feeling grumpy and fussy on Christmas day. Oh well, on with how our Christmas was celebrated when someone wasn't sick. We ended up feeling good enough to try and go to the Christmas Eve service at Church. We have never done this before because there is no childcare and we made it through about 20 minutes of the service. The boys did enjoy some of it, but couldn't last any longer. We then went to the K&S Caf. for supper (it was ok, no K&W that's for sure). Came home and let the boys open one present. It was a gift from a friend of ours and they each got a tow truck and race car. They LOVED it! It was the happiest Carter had been in several days. I then dressed them in their matching pj's I got last year after Christmas for only $2 at Old Navy! Andy says they look like they escaped from prison, but I think they are cute. On Christmas morning we finally got up to stay up around 7:30. My parents had come in and crashed on the couch, because they had to bring my aunt to the airport here in Raleigh at 4 that morning (she was going to surprise her son and his family that live in California and they were very surprised and happy to see her). When the boys got up they went in the living room and started asking for their new trucks and cars they got the night before, who cares about all the other new toys "Santa" left. They finally saw their other toys and never even noticed my parents laying on the couch. Open presents went much smoother this year than in years past. When They had opened everything up stairs I had Carter go and open the blinds, which were over the couch my mom was laying on, and when he got over to her leg he looked very confused and then noticed it was her. The boys were very excited and shy because they were not expecting to see Mawmaw and Papaw.
We then cooked a big breakfast/brunch. After eating we took them down to the playroom were Santa left them their big present, a train table. They were so excited, but from being so tired from being up and down all night they kept getting frustrated when their trains would come off the tracks. We decided it was time for an earlier nap, for everyone and my parents headed back to their house to get ready for us to come there. We left later on Christmas day to head to my parents, because the day after we were doing Christmas at my parent's with my brother and his family. When we got to my mom's I realized I forgot my CAMERA!! I am pretty crazy about taking pictures, so I wanted to drive back to Raleigh from Greensboro to grab it, but Andy talked me out of it. So the pictures I have are from my mom's camera and my sister in law, Beth. Thank you both so much!! We had a great time with my family. The boys of course got way too much stuff! That's ok it will keep them busy until their birthday, which is in May. It was so nice, once the kids opened their presents they all sat and played and let us adults open our presents.

The next day, after Cale recovered from his mommy induced 4 am vomiting episode, we left to head up to Sparta to do Christmas with Andy's side of the family. It was really nice. The boys had a great time! I was hoping for snow, but maybe sometime really soon it will snow and we can make it up there to play. It is very relaxing up there and the boys love riding the wagon around and around on the deck. They once again, got a lot more stuff to keep them occupied and out of my hair for at least 20 minute stretches of time. All in all I would say this has been our best Christmas yet with kids. Christmas day got kind of stressful with Cale not feeling well and me forgetting a lot of stuff., but we all recovered and had many more good times than bad. That is something that is hard to do in this family so far. We are kind of like the Griswolds when it comes to family time, too high of expectations and too much bad luck. I am looking forward to things turning around for us though and this being the end of the sick Christmas'. I will post more pictures tomorrow, hopefully!

No comments: