Our Family

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I have Learned or Not

I read a very interesting article in Parenting or Parents or something last weekend.  It was titled, What I learned I learned from my second child.  You know that is kind of true.  This person talked about for kid one You Get What You Get and You Don't Throw a Fit was a settlement whereas for kid two it is just the way life is.  I would like the think that kids one and two  or one, I really don't know what Cale and Carter are considered, would know it as a way of life, but probably not.  Take this past week for example.  We started swim lessons with Cale and Carter.  Well they will not put their face in and won't jump in.  Mack on the other hand, I always let the water run in his face at bath time.  Maybe that sounds mean, but he DOESN'T CARE!!!  He doesn't even act like he notices!  Crazy!  This is the child who doesn't cry when they draw blood from him whether it is his arm, finger or heel.  I am hoping that this is a good sign and that he grows up just dealing with stuff.  I do realize he is only 6 months old and a lot does change once they hit toddlerhood. 

Another issue has been sleep and naps in our house.  I totally stink at naps!  I told myself I would not make the same mistake that I did with Cale and Carter, they didn't nap until 10 months old.  Well Mack started off napping great, but the past few months he has gotten worse and worse.  At night he does pretty good.  We did cry it out, which I highly recommend, and he has done great.  However, I try it during the day and it does not work.  The doctor said today that he should take 3 1 hour naps a day.  Yeah right!  Then she recommended I read the Healthy Habits Sleep book.  Yeah, did that too.  I actually still have it because I had borrowed it from a friend.  I guess I will read it again even though I didn't find it very helpful.  I will try again.  It is hard because I have been trying to find the perfect time for him and I can't!  It always seems like he naps at the same time for a few days and then he doesn't.  Who knows.  I know that it worked itself out with CnC and they turned into wonderful nappers and I hope it does for Mack too. 

By the way, the boys started off a little rocky at swim lessons (well Carter did).  Today however, they did great.  They wouldn't go under the water or jump in without holding the teachers hand, but it was only day two and at least they got in and listened. Hoping they will be braver on Tuesday. 

No comments: