Our Family

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Happy New Year!

Today I was thinking about how blessed we really are and how I never seem to feel that way. I don't know why. We have really good boys, although this morning they were a bit wild. They are healthy except for the reoccurring ear infections. They are also pretty funny and smart. Not to mention the cutest kids ever! With life being so crazy all the time all we ever seem to see is the negatives. Having twins is a lot of work and being a parent is definitely the hardest job I have ever known. I just really want the boys to be the kids that are good around others and well mannered. In today's society it is hard. I feel like all I do is yell, stop jumping on your brother or today, stop jumping off the arm of the couch on to your brother! I feel like I am constantly saying STOP or someone is going to get hurt. I just need to let boys be boys, but I hate going to the ER! Andy has definitely been enough and Cale has already been once. Anyways, today while vacuuming the playroom that made me think how much the boys have and how much do we really need? So that leads me to my "resolution."

I am never very good at making New Year's resolutions, but this year I am going to try. I'm sure it will be a waste by next week, but hopefully not. This year I am going to try really hard to be really frugal. I do coupon, but not as much as I should or could and I try to only buy things on sale or with a coupon. I just don't feel that I am really giving it my all. I could really be doing better job at saving money. I guess what has made me really want to work hard at saving is that in the past year we no longer have to buy diapers or pullups and we lost a huge car payment and there is still really no difference in our bank accounts! I do have a serious shopping addiction and I absolutely hate to cook, so eating out is always great, but I really must stop. So I have decided that we will not eat out unless we have a coupon or kids eat free or something and we can all eat for $15. Well that is my hope but under $20 would be ideal. You see we have been very blessed with great eaters and they can put away the food! I am really going to crack down on my food buying with coupons. I am not going to buy anything that is not a need, like something we use a lot or rely on for cooking or daily meals. I am not going to buy anymore clothes. This I can't promise, but will try very hard. The boys teachers from last year commented that they have as many clothes as girls! I can't not buy something when it is only a dollar or two, but this year I will just say NO! No more decor items that are not a necessity, like if something we used broke I would replace but no more Pottery Barn impulse buying.

I am hoping to save lots of money just so that we can have some for fun things instead of wasting it on stuff we really don't need. Last night we were fortunate enough to get some NCSU basketball tickets from a lady I work with. Looking around the arena I was thinking how cool it would be to have seats in the luxury all you can eat buffet section, yeah right! Or just have season tickets down low, which is a more realistic goal. Then it hit me that we will never get to that point with the way we spend money. And really we don't buy anything worth while! I mean we just got a new tv because ours died and Andy did splurge and get us a fun wii, but we really don't have "nice" furniture or go on fancy vacations or have new cars (Andy still drives my 1990 honda accord from when I was in high school). So what do we spend our money on? It has to be the black hole of Target. I know Andy does not read this, so he will have no idea about what my goal is. I guess I really don't have a goal so much as a just stop wasting my money on stuff I don't need! We always laugh about this SNL skit that was a Suze Orman type thing where they were telling people to stopping buying if they don't have the money. People would show up and be like I want something, but can't pay for it now but I can charge it, should I get it? And they would be like NO don't buy it if you don't have the money! Well I feel like we are going to end up like these people if we aren't careful, so jokes on us. Hopefully, I can turn things around since it is me doing all the spending. We'll see!

Here are the boys enjoying the basketball game!

Cale



Carter and Daddy

Posted by Picasa

No comments: