Our Family

Thursday, January 7, 2010

My New Goal

Mack had a doctor appointment this morning because his gastro problems have not really improved at all.  We luckily saw our regular doctor and she was much more helpful than the other doctor he reminded me a lot of Denise on Scrubs (not her appearance).  Mack's whatever they tested was improved a little.  Our regular doctor did explain better that this is an intolerance not an allergy.  That was a relief, because she said a lot of babies out grow it by 6 months and are totally fine.  So what we are going to, and hopefully this will work, is mix breastmilk with the special formula until whatever is aggravating his colon stops bothering him.  Then retry him on breastmilk at 6 months. 

This is a much better goal than before.  Seeing a possible end in sight for him especially has made me feel much better.  It is hard for me because of my love of food, but ultimately I feel terrible for him.  It is so hard to watch your baby struggle and know that you are doing all you can and it still isn't making his tummy better.  Hopefully the formula will help and it was awesome that she gave me four more cans today.  We will be back in two weeks for his 4 month check up and hopefully they can give me some more then.  He is currently taking the longest nap he has in the last couple of days. I think he has been having a growth spurt and his tummy seemed to be bothering him.  Please pray that this breastmilk/formula combo will make his gastro issues stop and that he outgrows it soon.

This has in a way been a blessing (it is good to find a blessing in all things good or bad).  We have eaten at home every night this week and will continue too!!!  My goal is that at the end of the year I would like to have saved enough so that we can either remoldel or get a bigger car which would be a "fancy bye bye" suburban (the boys call my car a bye bye and the bigger version a fancy bye bye). 

Last night I made a yummy Layered Mexican Bake.  I of course omitted the cheese and sour cream, I set it on the table for the rest of the family.  I also used the 10" tortillas instead of the 8.  Also, another tricked I learned lately that was a great time saver was when you buy your ground hamburger to go ahead and brown it and then divide it into 1 lb bags and then freeze it.  That was the best idea ever!! Thanks to whoever gave me that one!

Layered Mexican Bake---Kraft Food and Family  

3/4 lb. extra-lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tsp. chili powder
1-1/4 cups TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen corn
3 high-fiber whole wheat tortillas (8 inch)
1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S Reduced Fat or KNUDSEN Light Sour Cream
3/4 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
Make It!

HEAT oven to 375ºF.


BROWN meat with onions and peppers in large skillet on medium-high heat. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 min. Add salsa and corn; mix well. Simmer 5 min.



SPREAD 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 8- or 9-inch square baking dish; top with layers of 1 tortilla, 1/2 cup meat sauce, sour cream and 1/4 cup cheese. Cover with 1 tortilla, 1 cup of remaining meat sauce and 1/4 cup of remaining cheese; top with remaining tortilla and meat sauce. Cover with foil.



BAKE 25 min. or until casserole is heated through. Top with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, 5 min. or melted.

No comments: